Friday, May 3, 2013

Field Trip to the Denver Botanical Garden

I got to go on my first field trip as a parent to the botanical gardens with Ellen and her class. Ellen was over the moon excited about it and it turned out to be a lot of fun! we had 6 kids in our group and they were all really good kids. We had a great time looking at the flowers and painting and being outside. 
Ellen's group (she got to pick the kids in our group) Lilly, Jocelyn, Ellen, Lizzy, Justin, and Justin.   
I loved the tropical room with all of it's flowers but the kids didn't like how hot it was so we didn't spend much time inside. They each had to fill in the flowers that they would like to put in their own garden and that project held their attention for about the first 10 minutes. 
Ellen stuck to me like glue! I really need to do some special things with her one on one because man, she LOVES to spend time with me. 
Yep, that's snow in MAY! notice the lack of flowers and leaves on trees in these pictures... It's because winter lasts 8 months here. 

We took about an hour and let the kids paint their canvas with water colors. we found the prettiest place we could and painted and played for a while. I was so surprised at how small this place was. I loved the gardens we went to all the time in Dallas, there was so much to see and do there  and the gardens at Thanksgiving point are awesome with a lot to see and enjoy. This garden was super small and not nearly as varied as either of the other gardens. Part of the problem was that there were very few flowers out and only one tree that was in bloom. Maybe it would be better if i visited in June. 
The lone tree in bloom,  at least it was a pretty one.
Here are the 2 pictures I was able to take of Ellen and I. The first one is on the bus and the next one was taken at the spot we picked to eat our lunch.

No comments: